If you are the owner of a website or if you have decided to design one for your company or personal use, a question must have danced in your mind “How can I bring my website quickly to the search engines like Google and Bing”. After all what is the use of a website, if people can’t find it. Although most search engines provide webmaster tools to submit your website for indexing, there is a possibility that it will never be listed in your favorite search engine results. The reasons being poor website design from the search engine’s point of view. Yep Design matters a lot ;).
In this article I will tell you how you can fine tune your website by following some simple guidelines to bring it up in the search engine results. Although it might not be possible for you to follow all points for your website, using more of them can help you to achieve your goal.
- Use keywords in the title tag: Use the keywords that most likely describe your website or your company or your information in the title tag of your page. Most search engines including Google index pages based on the title tag.
- Avoid full flash website: A website that is completely designed using flash is susceptible to be listed in the search engine results in short time. This is because the contents of the flash can’t be read or indexed by search engines. Less words from your site means less chances of it being at top.
- Use text instead of images: Many people tend to use images which contain text. As search engines can’t read text from these images, these words are not indexed. It is therefore a better idea to use the text directly instead of images.
- Avoid iframes or frames: An iframe causes the search engine bot to individually load a single page. Therefore if you use iframes inside a page, the content of that iframe might be indexed separately as a page and could be separately shown in the search engine results, a thing that you will not want.
- URL Rewriting: URL rewriting is a mechanism to convert the existing URLs to your pages to more user and search engine friendly URLs. URL rewriting helps search engines to properly index certain pages and refer them with those URLs. This technique is specifically useful if your website is a content management system or blog having parameterized URLs.
- 3 click access to any page of your website. Make sure that any page that you wish to be indexed by the search engines should be accessible from the home page in no more than 3 clicks.
- Use Sitemaps: Sitemaps are simple text or xml files that list all the URLs one per line. You should always create at least one sitemap for your website. Your sitemap should list all the URLs that search engines should index. Some search engines including Google also give you flexibility to submit your sitemap to them for indexing purposes.
- Incoming & Outgoing Links: The results shown by a search engine depend on various factors such as number of keywords, page relevancy, page rank etc. Generally these factors are calculated by how many other websites point to your website and vice versa. Therefore put your website link in as many different websites as you can. An easy way could be to use social networking websites and link sharing facilities.
- Choose a good webhosting service: Be sure to choose a good webhosting company for your website. The company’s hosting server should provide a fair up time. A large downtime may cause a search engine return empty handed from your website because of no response. Although the search engine will check again during its periodic cycle, that will delay the indexing of your website.
Hope these points help you to popularize your website among search engines. Hope to get your honest feedback.
Thanks & Good Luck